Sunday, August 29, 2010

Unforgettable Times, Unforgettable Songs

I have been a regular cine-goer for almost 20 years, starting from my school days, never missing an American or British, Indian or Pakistani movie that struck the cinema hall. I can't recall how many movies I saw in these 20 years. During the college days, it used to be a weekly affair, every Sunday. I still see movies on cable TV but very occasionally.

Side by side my craze for movies, I was also a regular listener of Indian and Pakistani songs. That habit has remained with me till now, after 40+ years. Previously, it was the radio, followed by audio cassettes; now it is the YouTube. I still enjoy the old songs that I enjoyed in my younger days. My memory was so good that I could remember the whole song by listening to it once or twice. Old Indian songs were and are still my favourite.

I enjoy ghazals sung in semi-classical compositions. I enjoy instrumental renderings, particularly of Prof Qasim Hasan Zaidi. I enjoy ghazals sung in private or social gatherings. I go for lyrics and music. By nature, I am deeply romantic. So, I can enjoy a ghazal more than an average listener.

I have posted selected songs here and also on Facebook. Hope you will enjoy them and post your comments.

Have a wonderful time!

Mumtaz A. Piracha


No comments:

Post a Comment